Sunday, August 15, 2010

Seasons of Change

Its funny how August has slipped in so quickly and so quietly. I cannot believe that summer is coming to an end when I hardly noticed its arrival. The older I get the faster the seasons seem come and go and before we know it our own seasons will come to an end.

:::
There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,

a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,

a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

:::

Seasons are not easy at times. Its hard letting go of the past and waiting for the next season to roll around. One thing that I have learned though, is how important it is to cherish the season your in and look for the good in it all.

Hubby and I are experiencing a change of season is our own life. This time is a season that has lasted for 8 years straight. The Lord is clearly directing us to step back and regroup. For the last 8 years we have led the youth at our church and we have come to know so many teens as our own. We finally feel its time to step back and watch them fly. Its time for someone new to step in and let us step back, search our hearts and look for the Lord's leading on what to do next. We have been so blessed to be a part of of a great group of childrens lives and I know that they have taught me much more than I probably taught them. Kids are funny like that.

In spite of feeling the lead to step back I know I will miss this season, for it has been all too familiar to me for quite sometime. Possibly that is the problem. When I become too familiar with something I tend to stay in my box. So, in order to move forward....I look back and count the blessings that this season has gleened. Life doesn't get any sweeter especially when your list includes everday blessings that the Lord puts in front of us:

206-217

~the privilege of walking beside so many of the young adults in our church and watching them as they find their groove with their Savior

~knowing that they have taught me so much more than I have taught them

~watching as the post college young adults (that were once in our youth group) take on leadership roles such as starting their very own 20-30 age group

~a funky caterpillar that is the wierdest thing I have ever seen.




~church picnics filled with food and fun

~weed free flower beds

~summer rains that quench thirsty plants

~my real living breathing miracle

~friends who send prayers heavenward for my fear filled doctor visits

~fresh cut sunshine in colorful vases



I pray that whatever season you may be in right now, you stop and take a minute to thank God for each one. Cherish them ....because when this season is over....you can't get it back.

If you haven't listed your blessings lately...won't you consider starting? Join the community here.


holy experience

12 comments:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

The close of one season inevitably leads to the opening of another.

I'm eager to see how God leads you as a new chapter begins. God's blessings to you, dear one.

stacey29lincoln said...

I love that when we think we are the one teaching...God teaches us so much more!


May God bless you as you step away and into another place of service,

Stacey
from the Gratitude Community

-t- said...

I am continually in awe of His Holy Spirit.
This morning you have posted about change, this morning Ann posted about change, others are experiencing change: new jobs, new school year, letting go of loved ones into the arms of Jesus.
Isn't it interesting how so often so many of us are at simialr places, hearing His gentle voice say similar things?
An amazing God we serve!

"So when you feel all the endings coming ... begin looking for all the beginnings." -The Farmer Voskamp today @ Holy Experience

jeana said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and sweet comments. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers as you step out in faith to do what God is leading you to.

Sarah said...

funky caterpillars, they hold a special place in my heart too. As always a joy to splash around in thankfulness. Your blog, simply delightful.

Splashin' in His goodness,
Sara

Sarah said...

funky caterpillars, they hold a special place in my heart too. As always a joy to splash around in thankfulness. Your blog, simply delightful.

Splashin' in His goodness,
Sara

Lindsey V said...

Julie,
#1 - I love your blog design/layout
#2 - Thanks for commenting on my blog.
#3 - I am encouraged by your transition as hubby and I are also going through a ministry transition and finding it challenging and scary.

Thanks for opening up in your journey to help me in mine!

Jennifer said...

Awesome pictures. Transitioning is always hard for me, too. I've often wondered if it's because the God part of us desires to be unchanging, just like God himself. Wonderful post.

(This might gross you out, but your funky caterpillar is a tomato worm with wasp eggs on his back. The wasp lay the eggs, so that when the larva hatch, they eat the caterpillar.) I'm the caterpillar queen. :-)

Jennifer said...

Saw you commenting on Lyla's blog and just wanted to send you a word of encouragement since I hadn't seen you here in awhile. Our God is big enough to create a universe yet small enough to care about our individual needs. Blessings Julie.

Jennifer said...

Saw you commenting on Lyla's blog and just wanted to send you a word of encouragement since I hadn't seen you here in awhile. Our God is big enough to create a universe yet small enough to care about our individual needs. Blessings Julie.

jeana said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and sweet comments. I will keep you and your husband in my prayers as you step out in faith to do what God is leading you to.

Sara said...

funky caterpillars, they hold a special place in my heart too. As always a joy to splash around in thankfulness. Your blog, simply delightful.

Splashin' in His goodness,
Sara