Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Habit

I had no idea that when I read my devotions early this morning, how it was going to impact the rest of my day.

I have to be honest....I am NOT a morning person.

I like to stay nestled in bed until about 7:30 (sometimes a wee bit later). Then its a mad dash for a shower, clothes and out the door by 7:55 so that I can make it to work by 8:30.

But for the last few months I have been working really hard to get up when hubby gets up (6:45 a.m.) so that I can get some alone time in with my main man Jesus. If I don't I find I am easily distracted and before you know its bed time and I have not talked with Him all day. When that happens its no wonder I am grumpy, worried, and just plain lazy.

I started this back in August and I have been doing well with it. And you know what?

Its changing the way I think.

With that being said ...this morning I ended up falling back to sleep after hubby got up and I didnt wake up until 7:25. Immediately I began thinking how terrible I am and how I am not going to get everything in before work this morning. I took my shower, as I walked past my room....I saw my Bible and my devotional just sitting there. I said to myself "Ugh no time...I will have to do it later." I took two steps and something in me said.."Do it now".

I backed up sat down and read the words of Psalm 63, and Psalm 139:7-10. When I read todays reading my heart skipped a beat:

"I want you to learn a new habit. Try saying, "I trust you, Jesus" in response to whatever happens to you. If there is time, think about who I am in all My Power and Glory; ponder also the depth and and breadth of my love for you."

I have struggled, for as long as I can remember, from panic attacks. I am a natural born worry wart. If there is nothing to worry about ...don't worry I will find something. It was as if these words were speaking just to me.

I said a small prayer that no matter what may lay ahead today- that I would say "I trust you, Jesus."

Oh how I needed to be reminded of that because less than an hour later I received some startling news that shook my insides to the core.


(more tomorrow)

3 comments:

Nancythomaswilliamson said...

Well it seems you and I both read "Jesus Calling" in the morning....I did a double take this morning as well when I read the words "I Trust you Jesus"...which in turn led me to do a journal entry that revealed an issue I thought was behind me....God is so faithful to give us just what we need when we need it.....

Lyla Lindquist said...

Hard to do without once we get accustomed to it, no?

Hoping all is well with you... that you sense peace in trusting that One who is faithful.

Love to you, my friend.

Julie said...

<3