Friday, December 26, 2008

Treasures to Ponder

When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.- Luke 2:17-19

When the Christmas Day came to a close last night I decided to read once again the story of the most wonderful gift this world was ever given. I got dressed in my new comfy pajamas that I received and snuggled into bed with my bible and turned to the pages of Luke Chapter 2. There I found something that I do not remember reading before. Maybe it is because I feel like I have heard this story so many times before. I don't know but what I do know that last night...the night of the day we celebrate our Saviors birth I found something that brought a new light to the wonderful story of Christmas. The shepherds had come to see the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying there in a manger. They were so excited to tell Mary and Joseph what they had seen and heard from the angels in the field. Everyone was excited of the news. Then I came across was Mary did at this time.

Of course I could just be reading into this too much.. Have you ever been in the midst of chaos? Take for instance a holiday party or picnic...people all around...conversations and stories buzzing all around. So much going on that you just cannot focus on a task at hand. Have you ever been in the midst of chaos and then stopped, stepped back and tried took everything in like a camera trying to capture a picture? This is how I pictured Mary last night in the scripture that I read. All this excitement going on all around her and the baby and then her taking a step back and taking it all in. Treasuring up all these things so that she can savor every moment, every emotion and every expression on the face of her husband, her guests and most of all her precious baby.

We should want to live the same way. Taking each moment in like a breath of fresh air. Trying to breath in Jesus the way Mary did on this starry night. She didn't want to miss a thing and you know what? Neither do I........

1 comments:

Lyla Lindquist said...

Julie, that's awesome. In the middle of the chaos, she stopped and took it in. Thanks for pointing me back here!