Sunday, January 2, 2011

Awakening

While the start of the New Year is exciting for many people, for me it's just really scary. I spent most of the day Friday contemplating the year that has passed and realizing just how scary the upcoming year could be.

Right now...I know what 2010 has held. Both my parents and hubby's parents are still here with us and healthy. Knowing that my Dad is the last of a family of 7 children left looms over my head like a rain cloud on a day meant for a sunny summer picnic. Although I am ever reminded that none of us know for sure when our time will come. So, while I was a little depressed at the turn of the year..I am not without hope.

I have not made any resolutions for this year...none that are carved in stone. The only thing I want to be intentional about is making it a point to hide His word in my heart. I woke up yesterday, the first day of the New Year and I had turned to Isaiah 61. I was led to verse 3:

" and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor."


On Friday, when I felt distraut about what may lie ahead, I was not trusting in my Creator. I was taking the reigns thinking I could change whatever may happen in the future, by overthinking things in my head. I wanted to start Saturday different and so I did....

I put on my walking shoes and a garment of praise~this is the first song that came on my ipod as I took a walk in the fresh morning air:



Today I am excited to enter my year of learning to Fear-less because I feel my soul awakening!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

The name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run to it and they are safe. Somewhere in Proverbs. That verse has helped me quite a lot over the years, and a vision from Psalms of my Heavenly Father hiding me under the shadow of His wing just as a mother hen protects her biddies.

Lyla Lindquist said...

Ah yes. We are not without hope.

Been thinking on your "fear-less" a little, thinking it's an great, great word. And remembering this thing that God told Abraham after he trusted Him enough to tie his son on the altar and and raise the knife: "Now I know how fearlessly you fear God; you did not hesitate to place your son, your dear son, on the altar for Me.” (Gen. 22:12 The Message)

I love how the translation hooks fear and fearless together, that God commended Abraham for doing them both, at the same time. Fearlessly fearing God. That's the road you're on, Julie.

Blessings this year, my growing-fear-less friend.

Michelle DeRusha said...

That Isaiah verse is a perfect balm for my fearful existence right now -- thank you for providing exactly what I needed tonight!